Cream of Asparagus Soup, Paleo-Whole 30
As we're in the thick of winter, I'm always looking for different ways to make soup. This Cream of Asparagus soup is dairy free, and so easy to make. What makes it creamy are the soaked cashews. Believe it or not they do aid in making your soup creamy, and also delicious.
I'm sharing this soup recipe with you, I hope you enjoy!
Donna’s Cream of Asparagus Soup-Paleo, Whole 30
2 lbs asparagus tough ends trimmed and chopped
2 celery stalks chopped
2 carrots chopped
3 tbsp ghee or coconut oil
2 garlic cloves minced
1 yellow onion chopped
1 tsp sea salt or more to taste
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
6 cups bone broth or chicken broth (or vegetable broth for vegan)(my favorite chicken bone broth is Bonafide by Provisions)
1 cup raw cashews (soak in water for two hours ahead)
juice of 1/2 lemon or more taste
1. Wash the asparagus and chop
2. Wash celery and carrots and chop
3. In a large saucepan, heat ghee over medium heat.
4. Add garlic and onion and sauté until soft, about 3 minutes.
5. Add asparagus, celery and carrot, salt, and pepper, and cook stirring for 5-8 minutes.
6. Pour in bone broth, cover, and let it come to a simmer.
7. Turn down the heat to medium low and simmer for 15 minutes until the asparagus, carrot and celery is cooked through and soft.
8. Drain water from soaked cashews, and place cashews in broth
9. Use an immersion blender to blend the contents until smooth. If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can transfer the contents to a regular blender to blend. I use a Vitamix, which makes it very easy to blend. Return back to the pot.
10. Stir in lemon juice.
11. Taste to add more salt, pepper, and/or lemon juice, before serving.